As I type this, I’m watching Dreamgirls for the fifth time since I arrived in Derby on Wednesday. This is partly because there’s little else to do here, but mostly because it’s a brilliant film that only gets more fabulous with each viewing.
If you don’t know what Dreamgirls is about, then acquaint yourself with the trailer:
Here’s why I can fully justify watching it on a daily basis:
1. I’m mildly obsessed with any film involving Motown.
2. Any film set in the 60s and 70s worth it’s salt will have lots of fab outfits and hair-dos – Dreamgirls is no exception. They are all gorgeous, but these two make my knees tremble:
3. Jennifer Hudson’s rendition of ‘And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going’ is probably my favourite performance in any musical. You’d have to be inhuman not to be moved by it and that Oscar was very well deserved. Take THAT Simon Cowell.
4. Everything about Beyonce in this film is fantastic and I now have a massive ladycrush on her. She looks breathtakingly beautiful (if a little boney) and really tones down her inner Sasha Fierce to play “sugar-sweet and shy” Deena Jones.
5. It’s pretty rare to see an all-black cast in a US movie that then goes on to do really well commercially. Dreamgirls has a very strong cast which, sadly, I haven’t seen much of since.