I’ve been a little quiet on the blogging front lately but this time I have a pretty good excuse – I’ve been interning for the past fortnight at more! magazine. I organised this over a year ago and before I decided to boycott the vast majority of women’s glossies on the basis that they are vile damaging rags.
(Before I go on, I will say that I don’t think that more! is a vile damaging rag. In fact it’s funny, has brilliant fashion pages and no “[insert celeb] CELLULITE SHOCKER”-type stories. So there.)
For those of you unfamiliar with it, more! is a weekly fashion and lifestyle magazine aimed at women in their early 20s, but mostly read by 16 year old girls, best known for the Position Of The Week feature (described in pornographic detail and illustrated by Barbie and Ken dolls).
All in all, I enjoyed my time there much more than I expected and added a great deal to my (zero) knowledge of how a magazine operates. I also learned the following:
- Finding a dead rat under your desk on the first day isn’t necessarily a bad omen, just indicative of a slightly messy office.
- Make tea and everyone will love you.
- Type up a transcript and they will love you even more.
- Some people will flash you a slightly insane grin when they want your attention and can’t remember your name.
- Other people will ignore you outright.
- Do everything – even the most dull and menial tasks – with a smile.
- Knowledge of soaps, celebs and Big Brother will come in handy.
- Ditto the love-lives of the male cast of Gossip Girl.
- Don’t make any The Devil Wears Prada references (“Omigod, I’m so Andi”). You will look like a wally and people will laugh at you behind your back.
- Bring back a receipt for every little thing that you buy for staff or risk being outed as a thief.
I’ll be doing this all over again for Time Out (my most favourite publication ever) in a few weeks – what else should I keep in mind?