Things that make Alex stabby

I’m a pretty cheery person most of the time, and not really given to anger (this is mainly because I’m a fan of bottling-up messy emotions, but let’s not get into that right now). However, there are a couple of things that are really bugging me that I’d like to scribble about, otherwise I’ll end up mumbling to myself like a crazy lady when I’m buying milk or something.

1.   Being asked “where I’m from originally”

This has been bothering me for some time. Thing is, I actually like it when people ask about my racial background. It shows that they are interested in me and that’s always nice. What does bother me, and has been doing so for months, usually goes something like this:

Random person: “So, where are you from?”

Me: “London.”

Random person: “No, I mean where are you from originally?”

I’m not stupid, I understood your question. I just didn’t provide the answer you were expecting.

If I was BORN in London, then I can’t be FROM anywhere else. ‘Tis not possible you see. What you want to know is why I’m brown. That’s fine – ASK THAT. Just don’t ask an ill-worded question and expect a completely different answer. I won’t reward your politically correct efforts.

2. Sexually suggestive billboards

Particularly about stuff that isn’t explicitly sexy. Particularly the Flake “succumb to the crumb” adverts I see plastered all over London. Oral sex and sweeties – because 22%-cocoa-solids-Cadbury can’t call itself real chocolate, so it’s a sweetie – shouldn’t be seen in the same context. It’s just wrong.

Want to vent about something? Feel free to do so in the comments. It’s great fun.

Advertisements

11 thoughts on “Things that make Alex stabby

1. Christopher says:

I hate that everything is sold with suggestive sex ads. I mean I am fond of sex and all but I don’t think I need two breast to convince me what soap to buy.

You handle the where are you from question way better than I would.

2. lizzie says:

Yes! I know exactly what you mean about the “Where are you from?” question! What it really means is “Your racial mix is not immediately clear to me, so, please, why are you not quite white?”

I get it all the time, and always say London too.

But we are the future. In a coffee-coloured-people-from-the-melting-pot kind of way.

3. superlative says:

Haha, that’s just like Milly in ‘This Life’ (which I happen to be watching at the moment).

“Where are you from?”

“Barnet.”

“No, I mean originally.”

“ORIGINALLY FROM BARNET.”

4. Camilla says:

I get ‘who is your children’s dad/ where is he from?’ because they are olive skinned and I am white (he is of the Arab persuasion since you didn’t ask). Wouldn’t mind so much but no one ever asks where I’m from!

I do sometimes ask where somebody’s family originates from generationally which no one seems to mind. I am non-discriminatory in my nosiness though.

And yeah, the sex in adverts thing. Fed up of it. Can’t get a dishrag these days without some woman depicted snuggling up to it.

5. Katie Lee says:

Being a member of the brown nipple brigade myself, I always like to ask people about their colouring, but asking where someone is from originally is just cringe-making.

6. Alexandra Sheppard says:

Yay! So pleased that I’m not the only one that thinks it’s a bit odd.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to practice my GLARE OF DEATH.

7. becks says:

Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes. Like M&S having a model prance around in her pants to sell us Christmas shopping with them. It makes me so so cross.

(You’re right – I do feel better ; )

8. Daniel says:

Yup being ask,”Where are you from originally? really gets me thinking,”what should I answer that doesn’t sound mean?” and for the most of the time i answer…”Well I was born in Texas but my family are from Mexico, in other words I’m a Chicano”. But I should change that because the next question does get harder to answer… “What’s a Chicano?” Even though I killed two birds on a shot already.
    Please leave a comment.