A quick note on V-Day, or reason #34 why I’m single

As Sian mentioned yesterday a few of us Domestic Sluts have been accused of being “romance grouches”. This isn’t quite accurate – I don’t hate romance. I just thoroughly dislike Valentine’s Day. The reasons for this are threefold:

1. Childhood trauma. All my pretty, thin and non-nerdy mates always had boyfriends and they always got cards, roses and tacky gifts. Though I was a late developer when it came to being interested in boys, a card through my locker would have been nice.

2. One day a year to be romantic? Jog on. I mean, what’s the point of being in a relationship if you’re not showing your love for them EVERY SINGLE DAY.

3. Typical V-Day gifts just make me sad. It’s like everyone’s given up on romance. If you insist on being romantic once a year, then why on earth would you step near a Clinton’s?

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “A quick note on V-Day, or reason #34 why I’m single

1. Mr Omneo says:

It’s interesting how many people are waking up to the ‘sham’ that is Valentines Day. As a soppy old romantic at heart you’d think it was an event created just for me but for almost identical reasons I abhor it!

People seem to strive to outdo each other with the tackiest, most expensive item in some ill conceived notion that it’s romantic. I mean who buys 3ft tall Hallmark cards?

It’s almost like Valentines Day, birthdays, Christmas and maybe anniversaries are the designated ‘days to show you care’ and to hell with the rest of the year, as long as you get those ones you’re sorted, right? WRONG!

And don’t get me started on the ridiculous price mark-up on everything. For the last week I’ve been emailed daily by a florist reminding me that I can get 12 hand-tied roses for ‘only’ £79.95!! I mean, how else are they going to be tied? By foot?? This morning I looked out into the garden and I have 14 roses on the rose bush…nice price, nice price :p

Sorry for my little rant :)

2. Robyn says:

You’re looking at this all wrong. You know, on the original St Valentines Day, St Valentine was beaten with clubs and stoned; when that didn’t finish him, he was beheaded outside the Flaminian Gate.

So bitterness and misery are entirely appropriate, I reckon.

3. Jessica says:

Dude, I’m in a long term relationship and still think all this stuff. Not embittered, not ranting, tis but normal. The best times I have with my boyfriend can (and do) happen at any time. However we do like to make use of the half price champagne offers abound and drink a bottle each (this has historically happened in front of the football). What better romance than that?

4. Gail Haslam says:

There’s nothing more fun than going out on the 14th of February and watching couples in enforced ‘togetherness’. Oh no, wait, there’s nothing fun about it. Nor is there anything romantic about buying a marketer’s “Perfect Gift For Valentine’s Day”.

That doesn’t mean that Valentine’s Day is all bad. It’s the perfect excuse for the cripplingly shy to dare to send a card and for the rest of us to be a bit creative about just how to show someone how much we care :-)

5. Alexandra Sheppard says:

Aww, you guys :-)

Thing is, if someone did go down the whole chocolates/flowers V-Day thing with me, I totally wouldn’t shut up about it. I’d be so obnoxiously smug. So it’s probably for the best that it won’t happen ;-)

6. Timinator says:

Counterpoint: there’s nothing wrong with one more excuse to have a special day. It’s not required, and it doesn’t mean you can’t show love the rest of the time. It’s just another trigger, and what’s wrong with that?

And it needn’t be tacky. My wife and I went on a little road trip, had some wine and a good meal, and made googly eyes at each other across the table. We do that all the time, but it was fun to know that others around the world were doing the same.

• Alexandra Sheppard says:

No, there isn’t wrong with one more special day. But for lots of people it feels forced – go into any supermarket on Feb 14th and you’ll see queues of men buying last-minute gifts. And if you’re being romantic because someone (or some company) has told you to, then what’s the point? That’s what I find a bit depressing.

That said, I can understand that Valentine’s Day is the perfect time for shy people to tell someone how they feel, or for couples to make an extra special effort with one another. But virtually every email newsletter and newspaper ad in the last three weeks has incorporated Valentine’s Day in some way, shape or form. So forgive me if I’m just a little bored of it all.